Follow Willards Volunteer Fire Company Inc to get updates.
Follow Willards Volunteer Fire Company IncThe Willards Vol. Fire Co. was established in 1927 by a small group of townsmen led by Everett (E.B.) Fuller. A 1924 American LaFrance Chemical truck was donated to the men and was housed in a small garage next door to Mr. Fuller. It is not clear who donated the truck. In 1929 the group officially chartered with Mr. Fuller elected as the Chief and President. Once the company had chartered, a new firehouse was built on property donated by charter member Paul F. Richardson. Mr. Richardson also donated all the lumber for the building with rest of the materials coming from others throughout the small community. Another charter member Walter Adkins helped led the construction of the building with all those helping donating their time. Mr. Richardson once said of the fire company, “It was built by the local people to serve the local people”. Shortly after establishing a charter the company purchased their first new engine for $1000. It was a 1929 American LaFrance with a 350gpm pump and 150 gallons of water. This engine was known as Big John and served an area from Millsboro, DE to Snow Hill, MD. Then in 1939 the company purchased another American LaFrance this one having a 350gpm pump and 300 gallons of water. This engine is still in the proud possession of the company and was refurbished for the 75th anniversary. In 1953 the company purchased an American LaFrance 500gpm Engine with 750 gallons of water. In 1960 a surplus 1953 GMC Army Tanker with 250gpm rear mount pump an 1250 gallons of water was acquired. This tanker was refurbished in 1975 and fitted with a front mount pump. In 1968 a Ford Young Engine was bought and had a 750gpm pump and 1000 gallons of water. This Engine served the Willards community until 1996. In 1977 the company along with the Ladies Auxiliary purchased a 1973 GMC step van to transport members of the two organizations to the numerous parades and other various events they attended. This vehicle was later converted to a Squad for the company and outfitted with a full SCBA Cascade system. It served in this capacity until 1994 when a used 1978 cab over Chevy with an 18ft Swab rescue body was purchased to serve as our first rescue truck. In 1981 the company purchased a cab over Ford with a Pierce body, a 1000gpm pump, and 750 gallons of water that still serves as a front line piece on brush and farm machinery fires. In 1984 a 1976 Dodge mini pumper was purchased. This pumper had a 1000gpm front mount pump with 300 gallons of water. In 1985 the company purchased its first new Tanker, a 1000gpm front mount pump with 4000 gallons of water. It is still in service as one the most dependable tankers in the area. In 1996 the company bought a Pierce Lance Engine with a 2000gpm pump, 750 gallons of water, and carries 2200 feet of 5 inch supply line. Shortly after in 2000 a Pierce Saber Medium Duty Rescue was placed into service and carries a full line of Hurst Tools. In 2001 the company purchased a Ford F-350 and in 2004 fitted this truck with a Brush unit. The Willards Vol. Fire Company started to provide Ambulance service to the community in 1955 with a used Ambulance donated to them from the Salisbury VFC. Through the years the company has had several units and currently runs Custom Ambulances. They are staffed 7 days a week with a paid Paramedic and are supported by volunteer ALS and BLS providers. The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1942 and has been essential in helping the company with fund raisers throughout the years. The company has fought since its early days to maintain an operating budget in many ways. They had Oyster and Chicken Dinners, Carnivals, and Bar-B-Que Chicken by the roadside for countless years to help supplement the State and County funding. At this time the company has over 20 active members and several life members. The Chief is C.K. Twilley, the Deputy Chief is Kyle Gray, the 1st Assistant Chief is Brandon White, and the 2nd Assistant Chief is Vaughn Rayne. The President is Ruth Twilley and the Vice President is Gary Lewis Sr. The Treasurer is Joan Calloway and the Secretary is Samantha Gray. The company takes great pride in its history and looks forward to servicing the community for many years to come.