Hosted by local songwriter Kwiat, these monthly songwriter's circle sessions are a great way to connect more intimately with other emerging songwriters in your community. Each session features an established local songwriter from various backgrounds to talk about the music industry and give insight into their songwriting experience and process. The time is spent working on songwriting skills together and sharing a song or two by each participant.
The series was created to fill a visible need for stronger creative development opportunities or programming for local songwriters and begin establishing an effective and notable songwriting community in Winnipeg, Manitoba. With the move to an online setting, the group is open to any songwriter interested in sharing a song for critique, and need not be based in Manitoba. Space is limited.
Partnered with The Songwriter’s Association of Canada.
Mentors To Be Announced.
What We Do:
On the final Monday of every month, we gather on Zoom to connect, share and grow together as songwriters. Space is limited.
These online sessions are a great opportunity to:
- Perform your work in front of a safe audience
- Improve your songwriting skills
- Receive personalized feedback on songs you have written or are currently developing
- Hear unique perspectives on the craft of songwriting from various genres
- Learn about the songwriting music industry from various established mentors
- Collaborate and network with other emerging songwriters
- Gain experience giving feedback on peer’s song structure and lyrics
What you need:
- You will need at minimum of a computer or phone capable of capturing audio and video via Zoom.
- Submit a typed copy of your lyrics to share via screen share or email to aW5mbyB8IHNvbmdzbWl0aHMgISBjYQ==
prior to the event for participants to read.
- An instrument or backing track to accompany the song. Pre-recorded versions of the some are welcome if you are unable to perform live.
- An original song or two that you own the rights to.
In light of the pandemic, these events are pay-what-you-can with a suggested donation of $12. This event is included in all $10-tier Patreon supporters.
Per public health guidelines, all songwriters must be home or in a location where they can maintain appropriate physical / social distancing, performing solo or only with the people already living in their home.
Songsmiths is dedicated to created a safer space for artists from all backgrounds are welcome. ( http://songsmiths.ca/safer-spaces
Songsmiths, formerly known as the Winnipeg Music Project, is an Western Canadian Music Award nominated endeavor dedicated to spotlighting music-makers from across Canada. Originally created by Métis-Polish host Kwiat to promote Manitoban artists, the future of Songsmiths is in connecting with artists from coast to coast. Since its inception in 2015, the project has evolved from it’s weekly long-form music interview podcast and CJUM 101.5FM radio show to creating music education and online event programming to develop the prairie songwriting scene.
Songsmiths is a national catalyst for discovery, empowerment and promotion of music across all genres. While preserving and celebrating Canadian music through stories of songwriting and the unique journeys of artists who love what they do, Songsmiths inspires a new generation of music makers and music lovers.