Blackout Demonstration - Against the American Vanguard
On December 5th, in response to the apperance of the American Vanguard on Purdue's campus, students and concerned members of the community gathered together to demand that Mitch Daniels and the administration of Purdue University take swift action against this threat to the stability and safety of the entire Purdue Community.
Our demands were simple:
1. A statement from the President Mitch Daniels and Provost Debashish Dutta that unequivocally denounces the fascist posters on campus. The two statements given by President Daniels inadequately name and condemn the fascist implications of the posters’ iconography. We reject the “to each his/her own” attitude presented by President Daniels’ second statement. We believe that in tackling fascism the stridency of our language matters as much as our actions. This is why we want a statement from the administration that acknowledges the threat that these fascist posters present to the psychological well-being and physical safety of Purdue students, faculty and staff. We need a statement that categorically expresses Purdue administration’s commitment to fighting racism and white supremacist politics on campus.
2. The University to immediately remove all posters in support of white supremacy and investigate who placed them on campus. The perpetrators should be publicly identified for the safety of all on campus and held accountable by the University.
3. Purdue to reinstate the Chief Diversity Office position.
4. Purdue to mandate a course on the history of racism and anti-racist struggle in America to be taken by all Purdue students.
5. That all staff, students and faculty participating in democratic protests on campus be free to do so without fear of any retaliation, discrimination, or persecution.
We gave him until today. 46 days. 1104 hours. 66240 minutes. It's time to see what he's done in that time. We must show our strength and our determination. To show our solidarity, we will 'blackout' this protest. Everyone should wear all black. We may all be different but we are a united coalition against the American Vanguard.
Also check out other Arts Events in West Lafayette, Fine Arts Events in West Lafayette.
Liked this event? Spread the word :