The railway line that forms part of the ACT/NSW border is the focus of our loop walk. Surveyor Percy Sheaffe and his team reached the Tuggeranong Railway Siding at the junction with the Old Tuggeranong Road in December 1913. The construction of this stretch of the Queanbeyan to Cooma railway line was completed in 1889 but rail was never intended to come to Queanbeyan. It was an expensive way to come south and never paid its way. But we will see the engineers’ and workers’ heroic efforts as well as learn about the connection to Bean, armaments and travelling stock routes. Join Garry Reynolds and Linda Roberts and be rewarded with views over Tuggeranong.
About 5km of walking on bitumen, rail track and rocky paths. Initial moderate incline then levels out to expose views of the Melrose Valley to the south.
Meeting point: Corner of Monaro Highway and the brown signposted Old Tuggeranong Road. Look for stand of pine trees next to the highway and park in the layby area which serves the paintball adventure facility. Please note the Old Tuggeranong Road is not open to general vehicle traffic.
Bad weather: Unless otherwise advised by email, the leader will be at the meeting point where a decision will be made as to whether to proceed or postpone.
Note: For the comfort and safety of other walkers, we do not allow dogs on our walks.
|Ticket Information ||Ticket Price |
| General Admission || AUD 10|