Toronto's largest Holiday Gift Swap is BACK for its fifth year! Why buy gifts and consume plastic waste when you can swap for that special someone instead?
Greenpeace Canada and the Toronto Tool Library have teamed up to launch Toronto’s premier swap event of the season as part of “MAKE SMTHNG WEEK,” an international festival celebrating alternatives to consumerism and breaking free from plastic waste. Learn more here: https://www.makesmthng.org
- Swapping for your holiday gifts
- FREE workshops by Makers
- Zero-waste gift wrapping station
- Door prizes & Giveaway
HOW DOES SWAPPING WORK?
Bring new or gently used items and exchange them for a gifts for friends and family. Please ONLY bring items you deem worthy of being a gift.
1) All items are deemed to have equal value.
2) Maximum number of 10 tickets will be given per person, however, there is no limit to the number of items that can be donated.
3) This is a zero-waste event, meaning we ask you to reduce plastic and waste by bring reusable bags for carrying your gifts and avoid items with excessive packaging.
Items can be dropped off prior to the event at three locations across the city. Visit us during opening hours at the Toronto Tool Library: https://torontotoollibrary.com/about-2/locationsandhours
WHAT TO BRING?
– Gift-able and gently used items for swapping (more info below)
– T-shirts or clothing for the zero-waste gift wrapping station
– Empty glass bottles for making your own cup (i.e. beer bottles)
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
Email Ryan Dyment (ryan | irbe ! org
) with your interest. Volunteers get 5 free tickets to the swap plus pizza lunch. Shifts are between 2-3 hours.
EXAMPLES OF SWAP-ABLE ITEMS:
We will only accept items that are new, gently used or in good condition. We reserve the right to reject items. Here's some examples of items to swap:
– children’s toys, clothing and accessories (in clean and good condition)
– undamaged books, CDs, DVDs
– electronics (new or gently used)
– musical instruments
– clothing (new or gently used) -- only 2 cloth items per person
– handmade items
– services (such as a gift certificate to a service you or someone else offers)
- artwork (framed/unframed) and sculptures
Last year, 5,000 swaps occurred and we’re hoping to break that record this year!
- Learn more about Greenpeace’s MAKE SMTHNG WEEK, visit: https://www.makesmthng.org
-Learn more about Greenpeace’s plastics campaign, visit: https://act.greenpeace.org/page/8009/action/1
-Learn more about the Toronto Tool Library, visit: https://torontotoollibrary.com