Learn to turn a wooden bowl on a traditional pole lathe. From log to bowl, you’ll learn the following processes:
- Understanding the properties of different Bristish timbers and choosing the right timber suitable for bowl turning.
- Using a froe to split the wood and how to mark out a bowl ‘blank’
- How to use an axe safely to rough out your blank
- Learning to attach a mandrel and how to mount your blanks to the lathe correctly
- Using and understanding different types of hand made turning tools
- Finishing touches; trimming, drying and oiling and/or painting your bowl
- Although we are outside, we will be under cover and we recommend appropriate footwear and waterproofs. The day can be physically demanding so you’ll need a practical level of fitness or a good level of stamina!
Course Cost: £120
About the tutor: Michelle Mateo was introduced to greenwood working in 2013 whilst volunteering at a woodland community called the Cherrywood Project. Since then she has had the privilege to learn from the best crafts people who have encouraged her to push her craft further; her main passion lies withing bowl turning and ash splint basketry.
About The Host: Small Woods is a charity working across the UK promoting sustainable woodland management - connecting people and their woodland environments - aspiring for Healthy Woods and Healthy People.
Website Link: www.smallwoods.org.uk
Nearby HotelsSmall Woods, The Green Wood Centre, Station Rd, Telford, United Kingdom