Learn the basics of growing mushrooms at home. This is a hands-on workshop where you will be taught the fundamentals of mushroom growing by Melbourne gourmet mushroom farmer, John Ford of King Oyster Mushrooms.
In this 2.5hr workshop you will gain an understanding of methods you can cheaply and easily replicate in your own home, and walk away with at least four different mushroom varieties in fruiting buckets you make during the workshop. Includes a short tour of the working farm.
We will be pasteurizing straw and supplemented sugarcane mulch using heat and lime techniques, both easily to replicate in your backyard. We will inoculating with four gourmet mushroom varieties - you can choose from a selection of pink, yellow, grey, blue, white and king oyster.
Why choose this mushroom growing workshop?
- This is the only workshop in Australia run by a working commercial farmer at a working farm
- Facilitator John Ford is a successful commercial grower and experienced teacher, currently lecturing at the Agriculture Faculty at Melbourne University
- Being on a farm, you get to see and use the equipment you can set up in your backyard to grow effectively mushrooms. This is not something you can get at hired venues
- We will teach you the practical steps to growing mushrooms, not burden you with lab work and theory (that's a separate course!)
- You make and take home with you four varieties of mushrooms to grow at home in buckets, the equivalent of over $80 if you purchased bags commercially
About The Host: We grow exotic culinary mushrooms in the Yarra Valley, east of Melbourne. We sell over a dozen varieties to restaurants and cafes across Melbourne and the Yarra Valley
Website Link: www.kingoystermushrooms.com
Nearby HotelsKing Oyster Mushrooms, Silvan, Australia