Sequencing with Creativity & Purpose with Amber, Britt & Peter
Teachers, stop winging your classes! It happens to the best of us. Lets face it, we are in a creatively demanding job and some days, well, you just don’t feel inspired. Do you want to learn how to develop purposeful, and effective yoga classes? This training will arm you with the knowledge, inspiration, and technique you need to generate fresh, safe sequences that represent your voice and vision as a teacher. It will give you the tools to offer your students a complete experience. Leaving your students feeling fulfilled, and giving you, the teacher the tools to stay inspired and be prepared.
- Learn to theme your classes on an anatomical and philosophical level, and how to weave the two together
- Give your students a complete experience that will have them leaving class fulfilled on every level
- Learn ways to creatively use props in your classes
- Walk into every class with a clear idea of how things are going to unfold.
- Learn how to incorporate safe, yet creative transitions.
- Incorporate music with more purpose and intent
- Truly bring the tool of actually “teaching” your students about their bodies, help them to practice safer and smarter
- Learn how to weave in different elements of the practice so each student can leave with something that resonates with them.
Amber Stratton E-RYT 500
Brittany Bryden E-RYT 200
Peter Lavictoire E-RYT 200, Yoga Tune up certified
Dates: April 13/14th, 27/28th
Time:9am – 5pm Pure Yoga Downtown
Early bird – before January 15th 2018 $525 + HST, $625 + HST after
There are so many ways to sequence a class, but the reality is most people in our culture spend a lot of time in the same position for most of their day, sitting, driving and have therefore become tight and often weak in different areas of their bodies. Changing the way you sequence doesn’t mean you can’t teach a creative, fun class! It means that we need to learn how to better prepare the body for asana to keep our students safe, and have them feeling mentally and physically prepared for your practice.
- Learn how to teach a class with an Intentional anatomical focus, incorporating a balance of both strength and flexibility.
- Learn the importance of preparing the body for Peak Posture and the building blocks that take you there
- Learn to modify your sequence on the to better suit your audience and truly teach to all levels, this includes how and where to introduce props into your sequence.
- Bring in the actual tool of “teaching” your students as opposed to just guiding them for a class. Learn how to get your students to better connect mentally to their bodies in order to move more efficiently through asana.
“Teach” your students to understand what is actually going on anatomically in their bodies and how it applies to the asana practice.
It takes time to connect to our bodies on a deeper, more cellular level, to learn how to move and use our bodies more effectively. The more students can understand their physical bodies and how to connect, the safer and stronger they will become.
- Learn how to weave your anatomy into class on a level that your students will understand and connect to
- Incorporate “teaching” into the practice to help students better understand how physical body works and how to connect to and better support their bodies through movement
Incorporating Music with Intention
Music should be played with purpose, when used properly it can be a very powerful tool that add to the energy of your flow. So stop putting your go-to yoga playlist on random, learn to use your music to add to and control the energy of your class. Create an atmosphere, tell a story. Learn how to USE your music to control and move with the flow energetically.
- Learn to Create a thoughtful playlist that matches the rhythm and flow of your class
- Get a better understanding of our connection to music and how it can be a powerful tool in your classes.
- Understand both the power of music and silence and how to bring both of these aspects in to create balance
Smart Creative Transitions
Get more creative, have more purpose. Yoga can sometimes get a little unnecessarily fancy. We all want to find fun new ways to get in and out of postures, but these transitions should be equally as thought out as the postures and sequence.
- Incorporate intelligent and creative transitions that make sense
- Learn simple yet creative ways to open and close your class that will not only be unique but effective on both a physical and energetic level
- Have your students leave with ONE clear thought or idea
- Combine the physical and anatomical in your theme
- Find the tools that will help guide you to authentic, purposeful themed classes
Set the Tone, tell a story
- Give your students the space to unwind and create their own experience
- Learn to tell a story with your class, guide your students along the journey of practice and offer them something greater than just the physical experience
How to Incorporate Inversions into your Public classes in a safe, creative way.
- Learn how to safely and creatively weave inversions into your classes for all levels
- Learn more creative ways to transition in and out of inversions and at the same time give students the tools to work towards inversions if it is not yet part of their practice
- Build a log of strong, smart sequences that will keep you on top of your game and keep your students coming back for more
- Learn how to effectively plan out your class so you are always going in with intention and purpose
- Understand the main actions in the flow of your practice and in the peak of your flow and how to set up the body properly so that your students have more “success” in their personal practice
- Learn how to incorporate mobility tools without totally disrupting the flow of the practice
- Break down you peak poses and develop a deeper understanding for how the body needs to be prepared for peak postures and for a vinyasa practice.
About Your Teachers
Teacher, 200hr YTT lead, Co-owner Pure Yoga Ottawa
E RYT-500hr Teacher Training
75hr Vinyasa Flow Training, Sean Corn
120/500hr Yoga Medicine, Sequencing, Detox and Spine Modules Tiffany Cruickshank
40hr Intuitive Sequencing, Janet Stone
75hr Kula Yoga Sequencing, Schuyler Grant, Nikki Viella
I am in my 12th year of teaching and have been one of the leads on Pure Yoga’s 200hr YTT for 4 years. My passion for sequencing began early on as a yoga teacher when I began more curious to understand not just how we move the body through asana, but why? The art of putting together an intelligent sequence that leaves your students feeling fulfilled on all levels truly is an art. I don’t prescribe to one style of sequencing, as I do not prescribe to one style of movement. I do not believe there is “one” way to do anything. I believe that having purpose and intelligent thought behind your sequence will serve not just your students, nut you as a teacher. Buy continuous learning and proper preparation I have witnessed as a teacher, the ability to keep my students safe, and have them leaving class feeling balanced and fulfilled on all levels. I am so excited to share with you my experience combined with my passion for creating sequencing that not only has purpose with a strong focus on the physical body, but also brings the element of play, curiosity and creativity into your classes.
Teacher, teacher trainer
200hr – ERTY
500+ lead on Inversion and Asana Workshops
Yoga for Athletes Trainer
My background in dance fuels my love to teach a creative, intuitive flowing class. My experience with injury reminds me to keep my sequences smart so my students practice safe, and still leave with that feeling of bliss.
I completed my training in Toronto under the guidance of Ron Reid, Marla Meenakshi Joy and David Bruni. I am also a big fan of Dylan Werner.
Yoga to me, is the self exploration authentic self. I have found my true passion and true source of self care, both physically and mentally on my mat. The opportunity to share this with my students is a gift, this practice has truly planted my feet on the ground.
Creative sequencing has always been the route of the art of teaching yoga for me, I love the ability to create a fun, meaningful experience on my mat and share it with my students.
I came from a competitive dance background, I eventually came to a crossroads where my body and mind were no longer feeling fulfilled or invested. I found yoga and body movement to rehabilitate my injured back, and I never looked back.
200 hour RYT
Level 1 Yoga Tune-Up instructor
Yoga Tune-up Core Immersion
Yoga Tune-up Hips Immersion
Yoga Tune-up Shoulder Immersion
Darby Training Systems Low Back Fundamentals Certification
Agatsu Kettlebell Level 2 Strength and Conditioning
Conscious Strength Kettlebell Level 1 Strength and Conditioning
TRX Level 1 Strength and Conditioning
Peter has been in the fitness industry for 6 years and is always looking for new and unique ways to challenge the body. Training as a generalist trying to find that balance between strength, conditioning, mobility, and most of all fun. Peter’s been trained mostly in Yoga, Yoga Tune up, and Kettlebells.
So much of the training Peter puts himself through is to prevent pain/ injury, build better posture, and ultimately get the results of looking and feeling better. Coming from a background of competitive basketball and football, Peter has always had a drive for a physical challenge. However, now there is an equally strong drive towards self awareness and alignment. If you’re not seeing Peter in the Gym you’d find him being active in a yoga studio, walking the dog, rock climbing, or portage camping in Algonquin Park.
You may also like the following events from Pure Yoga Ottawa: