Join us to make these better-than-the-original fig newton cookies. Chef will walk you through the process in this fun free 30 minute class.
The recipe, ingredients and needed equipment are listed below. Please email Chef Veronica at VmVyb25pY2EtWmEgISBGbG9yZXMgfCB1YnMgISBjb20= or Cari at Q2Fyb2xpbmVNYXJpZSAhIEJhdW1nYXJ0bmVyIHwgdWJzICEgY29t with any substitution questions.
Prior to class we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your cooking utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to best cook along with your chef. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience.
Please register for the virtual class using your UBS email address as this is an internal Skype event. Skype information will be sent out prior to class to all attendees. We encourage you to join a few minutes early to ensure that you have a good connection. Class will begin on time.
Please note: This is a virtual internal event for UBS employees only.
Ingredients: For the dough
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1 large egg, room temperature
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• zest of 1/4 orange
• 1 cup all-purpose (AP) flour
• 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub ¼ c whole wheat + ¼ c more AP flour)
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Fig Filling
• 9 oz dried black mission figs
• 1/2 cup water
• juice of 1/2 orange
• zest of 1/2 orange
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Kitchen aid or handheld mixer
• Large and medium bowls
• Sifter or fine mesh sieve
• Microplane or zester
• Rubber spatula
• Plastic wrap
• Food processor
• Small pot for making filling
• Large pastry bag or zip lock bag
• Rolling pastry or pizza cutter (or knife)
• Large baking tray
1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the AP flour, whole wheat pastry flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Sift the dry ingredients over the wet, then mix until just combined.
3. Scoop the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 day.
4. To make filling while dough rests, place all ingredients except for the honey into a small saucepan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, until the liquids have evaporated and the figs begin to plump up.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Then, place all ingredients in a food processor, drizzle in honey, and pulse until a thick paste is formed.
6. Preheat oven to 325°F
7. Remove paste from food processor and place in a large pastry or zip lock bag.
8. Line a large baking tray with a silicon mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
9. On a floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a 10″x 14″ rectangle, using a knife or pizza cutter to cut even edges. Cut the dough lengthwise into three 3.5″x 14″ strips.
10. Snip off the corner of your zip lock bag to make a ¾” opening and squeeze the paste down the middle of each strip of dough. Then carefully fold each edge of dough on top of the fig paste, making a log, sealing the edges as best you can.
11. Roll each log slightly to bond the dough together, then place seam side down onto your baking tray.
12. Bake for 20 minutes at 325°F, then turn on the broiler for 1 minute to slightly brown the tops of the cookies. Remove from oven and cut each log into 2″ cookies.
Chef Notes: This class will be a DEMO with dough and filling made ahead of class. You can make dough with chef in class but will need to rest it and assemble/bake after class. Alternatively, feel free to make dough and have rested along with filling ahead of class to assemble with chef – preheat oven before class for this option.
Enhance your culinary experience (and kitchen) with UBS branded products from Scarborough & Tweed – to view the culinary catalog and to place an order visit: https://ubs.scarboroughtweed.com/products?s%5Bf%5D%5Bc%5D%5B%5D=%2FVirtual+Cooking+School
Tickets for UBS - Virtual Cooking Class: Homemade Fig Newtons can be booked here.
|Ticket Information||Ticket Price|
Create an online presence of your events and make them easy to discover & share with the relevant audience.Create Events