Join us to make this version of apple pie with an amazing crumb topping. Chef will walk you through the process in this fun free 30 minute class.
The recipe, ingredients and needed equipment are listed below. Please email Chef Veronica at VmVyb25pY2EtWmEgISBGbG9yZXMgfCB1YnMgISBjb20= or Cari at Q2Fyb2xpbmVNYXJpZSAhIEJhdW1nYXJ0bmVyIHwgdWJzICEgY29t with any substitution questions.
Prior to class we recommend getting organized by preparing your ingredients and gathering your cooking utensils. This will allow you to easily access all necessary ingredients and materials during the demonstration to best cook along with your chef. Thorough preparations will provide a more enjoyable experience.
Please register for the virtual class using your UBS email address as this is an internal Skype event. Skype information will be sent out prior to class to all attendees. We encourage you to join a few minutes early to ensure that you have a good connection. Class will begin on time.
Please note: This is a virtual internal event for UBS employees only.
For pastry dough:
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
• 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
• ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
• 3 red apples of choice – 3 granny smith apples
• 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• Dash of nutmeg
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• Cutting board with damp towel
• Pie pan
• Rolling pin
• Large bowl
• 2 Medium bowls
• Food processor or dough blender or fork
• Peeler, optional
• Pastry brush
• Sheet pan for baking on, optional
1. In a large bowl with a pastry blender or in a food processor blend or pulse together flour, sugar, salt, and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add 2 tablespoons ice water and toss with a fork or pulse until incorporated. Add enough remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing or pulsing to incorporate, until mixture begins to form a dough.
3. On a work surface push dough forward with heel of hand and then fold over. Do this 3-4 times to slightly develop gluten in flour and make dough easier to work with. Form dough into a ball and flatten to form a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
To make topping:
1. In a small bowl with your fingertips blend butter, brown sugar, and flour until smooth and blend in nuts. Chill topping, covered.
To make filling:
1. When dough is ready preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 1/2-inch wedges and in a bowl toss with remaining filling ingredients to coat.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 15-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick) and fold into quarters for ease of handling.
3. Unfold dough in a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 10-inch deep-dish (1 1/2-quart) pie plate, easing to fit and letting dough overhang rim of skillet or pie plate.
4. Spoon filling into shell and fold pastry overhang over filling, leaving center uncovered. Bake pie in middle of oven 1 hour (pie will not be completely cooked) and remove from oven.
5. Crumble topping over center of pie, breaking up any large chunks. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake pie in middle of oven 30 minutes more, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Cool pie on a rack.
6. Serve pie warm or at room temperature with ice cream if desired.
Chef Notes: This class is intended to be a DEMO. If you are cooking along, have dough done and chilled ahead of time. Pie will finish after class is done.
Enhance your culinary experience (and kitchen) with UBS branded products from Scarborough & Tweed – to view the culinary catalog and to place an order visit: https://ubs.scarboroughtweed.com/products?s%5Bf%5D%5Bc%5D%5B%5D=%2FVirtual+Cooking+School
Tickets for UBS - Virtual Cooking Class: Apple Walnut Crumble Pie can be booked here.
|Ticket Information||Ticket Price|
Create an online presence of your events and make them easy to discover & share with the relevant audience.Create Events