'Klimt, Schiele, & Kokoschka: Vienna's Art Revolution of the 1900s' Webinar
Can't make it live? Register and get access to the full replay for one week!
New York Adventure Club | www.AdventureClub.com
In reaction to Vienna's growing industrialization at the turn of the 20th century, various artistic movements in Austria decided to come together and focus their art on sensuality, beauty, and the handmade. Two groups specifically — Vienna’s New Secession and Wiener Werkstätte — were right in the epicenter of this new passionate trend. This is the story of Vienna's rebellious art and artists of the 1900s and their lasting legacy on the art world.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore Vienna's art revolution of the 1900s that countered Austria's growing industrialization movement, and the eccentric artists who led the movement's most prominent groups.
Led by Sylvia Laudien-Meo — art historian, museum educator, and NYC tour guide — this virtual journey through Vienna art will include:
- The new evolving artistic style of the Vienna Secession and Wiener Werkstätte (a productive cooperative of artisans in Vienna, Austria)
- Gustav Klimt’s leading role as a portrait painter and capturing the modern sensuous woman, including the ‘Lady in Gold’
- Klimt’s intriguing relationship with Emilie Flöge — muse, fashion designer, and jewelry model
- A close look at the era’s new jewelry and fashion , specifically the ‘Reform Dress’ and Flöge Sisters’ salon
- A deep dive into Oskar Kokoschka’s personal life and art , from his passionate love affair with Alma Mahler (widow of famous composer Gustav Mahler) to his various innovative contributions to the new art movement
- Egon Schiele’s revolutionary sensuous painting style , which landed him in jail
- Women artists’ fantastic contributions to fashions, ceramic arts, and much more
Afterward, we'll have a Q&A with Sylvia — any and all questions about Vienna's revolutionary art and artists are welcomed and encouraged!
Can't make it live? Don't worry, you'll have access to the full replay for one week !
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you're using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Sylvia Laudien-Meo is a freelance Art Historian who works in and around the city in various capacities, specializing on Modern and Contemporary art, with a strong focus on Public Art. She teaches art history at Fairleigh Dickinson University and has been working as a museum educator at MoMA, the Guggenheim and the Jewish Museum for over many years, engaging visitors in conversation based, interactive art experiences of permanent collections and changing exhibitions.
For the Municipal Art Society, UFT, Brandeis Univ., and private clients, she has been touring the city for over 20 years, exploring art and architecture, parks, neighborhoods and history. Working in various different capacities gives her a unique opportunity to make intriguing connections and weave together the complex perspectives that make out the tapestry of our fascinating city.
SLM holds a Masters Degree in Art History (with minors in History and American Studies) from the Joh. Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, as well as a Tourism degree from the EST in Paris France.
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service .
Categories: Virtual, Art & Entertainment
About The Host: Adventure Club gives you insider access to the city’s best-kept secrets. We curate the most unique experiences in town, with a focus on history and storytelling. We show you a city you never knew existed, and offer a community you can’t live without.
Website Link: https://nyadventureclub.com