In this class, we will cover:
1) Reducing Waste – Best practices for different foods.
2) Dehydrating – no special equipment needed. If you buy, what should you buy?
3) Fermenting your garden produce – Why, and how to preserve with fermentation.
4) Canning – Choosing equipment, the bare essentials. The basics of water bath and pressure cooker canning. What methods are used for which foods, and why it is important.
5) Pickling – An introduction to a simple way to preserve tasty pickles.
6) Water Bath Canning – Simple instructions on how to be successful.
7) Pressure Canning- Easy and safe if you follow a few simple rules.
This class includes a Worksheet – What foods get preserved in which ways. References for canning and preserving help.
This class is part of the "Be Your Own Grocer" course, a 12-week program that will teach you everything you need to know to grow your own food. You can take this class, or any of the other classes in the course, for $20 each. Or you can take the entire 12-week program for only $120, saving you 50% off the per class price. To learn more or to register, please visit our Be Your Own Grocer event page.
This class is offered by Transition Nanaimo Society and is taught by Connie Kuramoto. Connie has been teaching Horticulture for over 30 years, and gardening for even longer. She was a technician and instructor for Vancouver Island University for 20 years, and currently teaches on contract for North Island College and Gaia College, as well as numerous workshops and talks throughout Vancouver Island and beyond. Connie has worked in the Horticulture Industry in Greenhouses, Market Gardens, Florist Shops, Farms, and has managed her own Horticulture Training and Service Business, Gardens on the Go for nearly ten years. She grows the majority of the vegetables and fruits she eats in her half acre garden. She can provide specialized workshops and training in many different aspects of Horticulture, and is available for pruning, one on one pruning classes, and garden consultations.
Also check out other Workshops in Online.
Tickets for Be Your Own Grocer - Class 9: Preserving Your Bounty can be booked here.
|Ticket Information||Ticket Price|
|Be Your Own Grocer - Class 9: Preserve Your Bounty||CAD 20|
Create an online presence of your events and make them easy to discover & share with the relevant audience.Create Events