The course covers B12 deficiency, pernicious anaemia, diagnosis, treatment and management.
This online webinar is interactive and participants are free to ask questions throughout the course. The course covers B12 deficiency, pernicious anaemia, diagnosis, treatment and management. It also covers signs and symptoms of pernicious anaemia. This course is interactive and we include case studies and discuss issues regarding diagnostic testing.
PLEASE NOTE (COVID19) Restrictions
Because the course is limited at present to online webinar it will not be possible for delegates to practice practical technique during the course. Participants are encouraged to find a mentor who is a registered professional to help them develop competency in giving IM injections. The minimum number of injections observed should be 10. We will provide competency based framework and supervised practice template.
Vitamin B12 injectionis a POM in the UK. This means that delegates will have to have a prescribing qualification or work with a qualified healthcare professional who has this qualification. We do not provide prescribing service.
Delegates can undertake this course for many reasons and we understand that sometimes its undertaken for personal knowledge and understanding only. This is perfectly acceptable on our course.
We review inclusion and exclusion criteria and identification of appropriate patients. We will cover administration techniques, where to give the injections and record keeping / documentation. We will discuss role and responsibilities and contraindications and precautions. All documents will be emailed in PDF format to delegates following the course and you can request these docuemnts in hard copy via email to dHJhaW5pbmcgfCBhbm5pZWJhcnIgISBjb20=
The delegates will leave this course with an example of an individual protocol of Patient Specific Direction (PSD) and a competence based framework document to be used in work based setting/ practice. This course is very interactive.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• Understand the need for accountability and responsibility in relation to role development
• Demonstrate an understanding of safe practice
• Describe the signs and symptoms of pernicious anaemia
• Describe pernicious anaemia and its impact on patients
• Fully understand the principles, and practice B12 deficiency and B12 injections
• Understand the importance of safety issues related to giving injections
• Understand the law relating to role and function of the HCA and prescribing
• Describe why people require B12 injections
• Be able to correctly identify anatomical sites for injections
• Demonstrate correct administration techniques
• Demonstrate how to correctly dispose of waste
• Demonstrate correct infection control procedures and use of PPE
• Describe when patients require referral and understand the importance of referral using correct clinical pathways
• Demonstrate an understanding of anaphylaxis and emergency procedures
• Understand the need for correct prescribing procedures
• Be able to document consultations following your organisations procedures
• Role and responsibilities
• Accountability guidelines and requirements
• Pernicious anaemia
• B12 Deficiency
• Risk factors / groups
• Causes of B12 deficiency
• Diagnosis and reference ranges, testing
• Protocols and guidelines
• Factors affecting B12 diagnosis and treatment
• Factors affecting absorption
• B12 injections and common side effects
• Could it be B12 Deficiency
• Side effects and management including ADR’s
• Contraindications and Precautions
• Correct Administration and techniques including practical session
• Injection sites
• Legal Issues including consent
• Patient Specific Directions
• What to record
• Disposal of injections / waste
• Infection control
• Needle stick injuries
• Competence and supervised practice
• Policies and procedures
• Facts and Figures
• Setting up and running a clinic
• Insurance / indemnity
• Research / evidence base and resources
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
• Anyone interested in Vitamin B12 deficiency and pernicious anaemia and those working with clients with B12 deficiency
Includes All course materials and certificate of attendance
Accreditation 6 CPD points awarded on completion. Accredited by One Awards (*Certificate £25) and CPD Standards (*Certificate free)
Annie Barr AB Health Group
Annie Barr is a leading provider of high quality, accredited healthcare training. With a selection of engaging healthcare training that has been developed by experts to equip you and your workforce with the skills, knowledge and competence needed to provide compassionate and high quality care.
About The Host: Annie Barr Associates provide continued professional development training for nurses and HCAs and doctors. Our accredited healthcare training is offered as a series of scheduled regular courses run throughout the year, or through bespoke training where we will provide the training and experience, tailored to your requirements and training needs to improve your workforce.
Website Link: https://www.anniebarr.com