Overflow New York City Council Chambers to Legalize Dance. Get off work. Tell everyone. End the Cabaret Law's 91 year racist and homophobic ban on dancing. Save generations of community spaces. Be there for the Footloose ending.
This hearing is the critical history-changing event. Your body in the room, your voice makes the difference. Extra Credit: Tell your story during the hearing. Extra Extra Credit: Pack the 10am pre-hearing press conference on the steps of City Hall.
Five City Council Members will decide the fate of dancing and community spaces in New York City.
END NYC's "No Dancing" Cabaret Law
- Created in 1926 to halt interracial dancing in jazz clubs.
- Giuliani used in the '90s to shut down gay bars and decimate culture.
- Today there are no legal community spaces to dance in Bed-Stuy nor El Barrio and less than 100 licensed spaces in all five boroughs.
Tell Your Story:
- The value of New York’s constantly emerging new social dance cultures. Mambo and Hip-Hop are among NYC’s contributions to the world.
- The grave loss of community spaces, the broad impact.
- The frightening first-hand experience of being raided at an event.
- The need for progressive New Yorkers to act now and protect the NYC’s status as a cultural safe space, before future conservative eras again use the Cabaret Law as a discriminatory tool to decimate cultures.
- The dance law is used a “Trojan horse” to get enforcement through the door giving vulnerable communities no safe spaces.
- How blanket criminalization of community spaces *for dancing* breaks trust with city government, forcing communities "underground" away from life-saving safety resources.
Questions: contact | nycartc ! com
Repeal the Cabaret Law - Letter to New York City Council Member Espinal. (2017, April 18). NYC Artist Coalition.
These Footloose-inspired rebels are fighting NYC’s dancing ban. (2017, April 8). NY Post.
The Bureaucratic Dance to End NYC Cabaret Law. (2017, April 19) The Brian Lehrer Show, WNYC.
Arts advocates renew call to end New York City’s antiquated cabaret laws. (2017, June 1) Metro.
Dance Liberation Network
We are asking the New York City Council to repeal the Cabaret Law and lift this ban on dancing.
Dance Parade New York
To promote dance as an expressive and unifying art form by showcasing all forms of dance, educating the general public about the opportunities to experience dance, and celebrating diversity of dance in New York City by sponsoring a yearly city-wide dance parade and dance festival.
Organizing since 2006 to spread the love of dance as a social art form, to protest the unconstitutional discrimination inherent in New York’s Cabaret Laws, and to call for their immediate repeal.
NYC Artist Coalition
A coalition of artists, creative organizations, community leaders, activists, policy makers, and specialists providing mutual support and advocating for informal and affordable community spaces in NYC.
All the City Council needs to do is change 7 words in the law to allow dance.
New York City Hall is fully accessible. Accessibility ramp on the east side of the building takes you to the basement. From there take elevator to City Council Chambers. Bathrooms are ADA compliant.
Also check out other Arts Events in Hoboken
, Festivals in Hoboken
, Business Events in Hoboken