About this Event
Sacred Bones Books presents Technomythology by LD Deutsch and Fantasies in Crystal with Erin & John Schneider
The Philosophical Research Society and Sacred Bones Books present an evening of meditation and exploration of the micro and macro realms, through transcendent sights & sounds and mind-expanding discourse.
Author LD Deutsch, acclaimed for her incisive examinations of “time, consciousness, technology and the nature(s) and narratives of reality,” will present “Technomythology.” In this illuminating lecture, based upon her essay zine of the same name, Deutsch explores the prevalence and popularity of the simulation hypothesis through a mythological framework. Rooted in a Jungian analysis of mythological models, “Technomythology” charts the concept of a computer-programmed reality from its origin point, through the techno-scientific and philosophical presuppositions necessary for its existence, to an associative understanding of its current position as a model of reality.
This very special evening commences with a mesmerizing performance by Fantasies in Crystal – the father/daughter duo comprised of Grammy® winning guitarist, composer, producer, author, and radio host John Schneider (PARTCH Ensemble, KPFK’s The Global Village) and archivist and traditional folk and experimental musician Erin Schneider. Awash in a stream of vibrant images which capture nature’s intrinsic psychedelia, John and Erin will perform live improvisational accompaniment on organ and adapted viola to a slideshow of her grandfather Robert Forrester’s breathtaking microcrystal photography, featuring chemical compounds exposed to polarized light and captured through a microscope.
is an independent record label and publishing company based in Brooklyn, NY. They have spent the last 15 years crafting a critically respected label that is synonymous with forward-thinking music, books and culture and won the Libera Award for Label of the Year in both 2020 and 2022. With over 300 releases under their belt, they’ve had the distinct pleasure to work with legendary artists the likes of Patti Smith, Trent Reznor, and the late Genesis P-Orridge, as well as fostered the respective music careers of film directors David Lynch, John Carpenter, and Jim Jarmusch. Their publishing department has printed definitive versions of the iconic art releases Color Problems and Thought Forms, and has also released essays and monographs by some of contemporary art and thought’s most vital and singular creators.
is a writer based in Los Angeles. Her work focuses on time, consciousness, technology and the nature(s) and narratives of reality. She has had essays published by Sacred Bones Books, Cixous72, Mundus Press, and Monsters & Dust and has presented lectures at Pioneer Works, The Knockdown Center, TV Eye and Zebulon Cafe.
is an archivist and musician born and raised in Los Angeles. As an archivist, she works at the Mike Kelley Foundation for the Arts. As a musician, she specializes in traditional folk and experimental music and has performed at venues such as Grand Performances, REDCAT, the Velaslavasay Panorama, and Zebulon.
is the Grammy® winning guitarist, composer, producer, and author who is the founder of MicroFest, the PARTCH Ensemble, MicroFest Records, and the Thursday host of The Global Village on KPFK-90.7fm
Ticket Price: $10 (in-person and Zoom)
Please email ZXZlbnRzIHwgcHJzICEgb3Jn or phone 323-663-2167 with any questions.
All sales are final. There are no refunds or exchanges for PRS events, except in the event of a medical emergency, including but not limited to a positive COVID-19 test.
In the event that PRS is forced to cancel an event entirely, tickets will be refunded or vouchers offered for a rescheduled event.
PRS EVENT POLICIES
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
* Events are subject to change without notice, including guest speakers and/or performers.
* We encourage you to arrive at least 30 min. before the scheduled event start time to find parking, enjoy the Bookstore and take your seats.
* Please turn off all mobile devices before the show. Talking and texting are not allowed during the events.
* No filming, audio recording or mobile phone recording of events, screenings, concerts or other programs by audience members is allowed.
* There is no smoking permitted on PRS grounds.
* We strongly encourage guests to wear masks to PRS events to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
* PRS allows Service Animals into the facility under ADA and state guidelines. For further details please visit www.ADA.gov. No animals permitted whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support, under ADA guidelines and CA Health Code.
* Please do not bring outside food or drink into PRS events.
* Weapons are strictly prohibited at PRS events.
|General Admission (IN PERSON)
|General Admission (ZOOM)