Umami Food Studio, 1169 Augrabies Falls Boulevard, Midrand, South Africa
Thai Curry 1: Red (5 seats)
We all know that the key to a good curry is good curry paste, often freshly made from scratch. The same goes for Asian curries. In Thai cooking, curry paste is also for stir-fries, fried noodles, salad dressings and marinades, providing a great depth of flavour and aroma instantly.
In our Thai curry series, we start with red curry paste, the most versatile and approachable one. Then we learn 3 all-time-favourite dishes using red curry paste as the base. Rany will also share her tips on meal planning and storage solutions so you can have your first Thai feast completely under control.
- Duration: 4 hours
- Great for: everyday cooking, winter warmers, easy entertainment
- Level of participation: 60% demonstration + 40% hands-on
- Alcohol consumption: bring your own. Limited to ½ bottle of wine or 2 cans (330ml) of beer per person.
1. Thai red curry paste
- Making two from scratch: recipe from a Michelin starred chef & Thai expert
- Storage solution for longer use & instant cooking
- Comparing different store-bought curry paste
- How to enhance store-bought pastes
2. Thai fish cake + dipping sauce
3. Thai chicken skewer + satay sauce
4. Thai red chicken curry
5. Jasmine rice
6. Asian slaw (no in-class demo, straightforward recipe)
- Mandatory ingredients (no substitutions available): prawn, fish sauce, chicken, coriander, egg, coconut milk, peanut
- Relatively gluten-free: if you can consume soy sauce, please join.
- Halaal option offered with halaal chicken: We don't use cooking alcohol in this class.
- Tips for shell-fish free recipes are explained in the class. However, this class uses shell-fish extensively.