BYO drink and join me for a glass of wine and a unique workshop experience–a combination of art and nonverbal communication.
In this workshop, I combine my unique expertise and experience in universal expressions and art. Learn the fascinating secrets of our core emotions (happiness, anger, fear, surprise, disgust and sadness) and the distinct facial expressions–and microexpressions–which accompany them.
Be prepared to try mimicking the muscle movements of expressions–this usually comes with giggles! Then express your creativity and hone your artistic skills, exploring the universal expressions of emotion through drawing.
You’ll walk away with:
-a fresh understanding of emotion
-the ability to read true emotion in the people you interact with
-a series of experimental drawings
Doors open at 6:30 for a 6:45 start. Sessions run for approximately three hours.
Includes a talk about emotion, universal expressions and microexpressions, followed by an experimental drawing session–portraits.
As well as being a lot of fun, experimental drawing reduces drawing inhibitions, making you feel less precious about the drawing itself so that you can relax and enjoy the process. It quickly improves observational skills and drawing automatically improves. It’s a great way to introduce anyone to drawing and a good warm-up activity for artists.
Terms and Conditions
By enroling yourself or participants in a workshop/class/course, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
1. Participants are expected to control their behaviour, alcohol consumption and be nice to one another. Disruptive behaviours and bullying will not be tolerated. Design Cite reserves the right to terminate enrolment if unacceptable behaviour is not resolved.
2. Participants will be charged for any damage caused by their behaviour to the building or equipment.
3. Participants are required to wear enclosed footwear during the session.
4. Design Cite can only offer a refund if enrolment is cancelled more than ten days before the workshop/class/course commences.
5. Design Cite will offer a refund or transfer if a course is cancelled due to insufficient numbers or sickness.
6. To keep the cost of our workshops affordable, work made in clay will not be fired, unless specified.
7. In the unfortunate event that you fall ill, please do not attend the workshop/s to protect the health of other participants. Let us know in advance of the workshop/s and we will provide the opportunity to transfer to another upcoming or future workshop/s.
A practising artist and arts educator for fifteen years in the UK, Sophie has led hundreds of art projects for children as well as running training sessions for teachers working with children. Her artwork has been exhibited in a range of art galleries, with one series of sculpture housed in a permanent collection at Wolverhampton Art Gallery.
Through her workshops and classes, Sophie aims to inspire creativity, sparking imagination, curiosity and awe, while at the same time teaching practical art techniques, processes and knowledge.
Sophie also works in the world of nonverbal communication, her second life-long passion...
Sophie works with executives and leadership teams from government and industry giants, coaches public speakers, TEDx presenters and educators, helping them to convey their message with impact. Sophie has also worked with TED-Ed, creating an animated lesson–Are There Universal Expressions of Emotion?
She has featured across a variety of news and media platforms, including ABC radio, The West Australian, The CEO magazine, Seven News Media and Foxtel Networks. Her blog was recently rated in the top five body language blogs on the web.
Occasionally Sophie teaches combined nonverbal communication and art workshops. You can read more on our sister website My Alcomy.
About The Host: We run art classes for kids and adults in Midland, Inglewood and Perth. We also create beautiful, easy to manage Squarespace websites to get you online quickly at an affordable cost.
Website Link: https://www.designcite.website
Nearby HotelsMidland Junction Arts Centre, 276 Great Eastern Hwy, Midland, Midland, WA, Australia 6056, Midland, Australia