Secrets of Central Park Walking Tour
Did you know that Central Park was once the site of a former African-American village? Or that it was previously home to an infamous casino, where alcohol flowed throughout the Prohibition? For almost 160 years, Central Park has been the green heart of the city, serving as a pastoral haven for New Yorkers and visitors alike. Even so, it still holds many secrets that have yet to be discovered. On this walking tour, kicking off on May 14th, we’ll explore the history behind some of its best-loved and hidden sites. Learn about the genesis, design, and evolution of the immense green space, while uncovering its many outrageous happenings, scandals and more.
- Hear about the massive civic project that transformed a wasteland into an urban pleasure ground
- Learn about the curious origins of the Central Park Zoo and the corruption scandal that caused a riot
- Uncover the hidden meaning in Bethesda Terrace’s sculptures and the forbidden love that inspired the park’s most famous statue
See the secret bolt left behind from the creation of Manhattan’s street grid
- Discover the secret navigational device that keeps pedestrians from getting lost on the park’s winding paths
- Price: $35 (+fees)
- What to bring: Comfortable walking shoes
- What to know: The tour is approximately 2 hours long and covers 2 miles. Note: some of the walking surfaces are uneven and require ascending a moderate incline.
You may also like the following events from Untapped Cities:
Also check out other Entertainment Events in Manhattan
, Music Events in Manhattan
Liked this event? Spread the word :