5 Day Immersion: Foundations of Somatic Stress Release™
Somatic Stress Release
This comprehensive 5 day immersion introduces students to Somatic Stress Release™, addressing the underlying psycho-physical patterns associated with stress while promoting well-being through the lens of body-oriented therapies.
Stress related health challenges are now a widespread global issue. Chronic stress wreaks havoc on our health, impacts biological energy conservation, and makes us less attuned to the need for self-care. When a person encounters stress they form neuromuscular patterns to manage and protect themselves from the situation. A person maintains this activation even after the stressor is eliminated. This behavior prevents them from properly processing or mobilizing the stress. Similarly, individuals can get trapped in thought cycles which continually activate a physiological response, limiting their tolerance and capacity to manage additional stressors.
A physiological stress response happens throughout every system of the body, ultimately interacting with every cell. It’s no wonder that stress responses are interwoven with our emotions, immune function, thoughts, breath, and movements. Somatic Stress Release is a holistic approach that recognizes the complex layering of each individual's relation to stress. Stress manifests itself in each person’s body differently. Understanding this unique body response allows each person to process and navigate the intricate layers of stress. One of the most effective pathways towards that awareness and negotiation is through feeling a deeper sense of and connection with the body-mind, an approach called somatics.
In this somatic approach there is a recognition that we engage with others and the world through sensations and movement. As stress is something experienced and expressed through the body, a somatic or body-focused approach can more quickly address habitual responses to internal and external stressors.
This certification is open to anyone (i.e yoga teachers, therapists, parents, teachers, etc) who wishes to addresses stress from a multidisciplinary holistic approach.
CERTIFICATION: SOMATIC STRESS RELEASE™
In addition to utilizing body-based stress release techniques, these immersions will also integrate experiential anatomy and physiology, mind-body medicine techniques, elements of cognitive-behavioral therapy, Neuro-Linguistic Programing, movement meditations, and yoga nidra.
The Somatic Stress Release™ program happens in three modules: Foundations, Intermediate, and Advanced.
These modules prepare you to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the biological, social, and psychological aspects of stress.
- Identify somatic symptoms and triggers for emotional and physical distress.
- Learn to work with stress as it is reflected in facial expressions, posture, muscular patterns, or other forms of body language.
- Learn cognitive reframing and stress tolerance techniques.
- Explore self hypnosis for relaxation.
- Learn neuromuscular repatterning procedures to release unconscious habituated stress cycles.
- Identify yours and other’s resources for negotiating stress.
- Learn embodied mindfulness and resilience training techniques.
- Engage in movement meditations and breath work to release trapped or stored arousal energy.
- Stop burnout and rebuild depleted biological resources.
- Learn to take control of your relationship to stress in order to live a life of greater well-being.
- Apply manual-therapy techniques to guided meditation.
Module 1: Foundations
- Introduction to Somatics and Somatic Therapy
- Introduction to the History of Stress
- Mind-Body Medicine for Stress
- Mobilization Practices of Stress
- Embodied Resilience Work
- Compassion and Acceptance Therapy
- Experiential Anatomy of Stress 1
- Integration of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Somatics for Stress
- Introduction to Yoga Nidra
- Startle Reflex Release Work
- Muscular-Fascial Release work with Balls
Module 2: Intermediate
- Proprioception Re-Patterning
- Nutrition for Stress Reduction
- Experiential Anatomy Of Stress 2
- Iliopsoas Complex Release Work
- Body Work and Manual Therapy for Stress Release
- Introduction to Restorative Yoga
- Eye Work
- Breath Work
- Somatic Application of Polyvagal Theory
Module 3: Advanced Integration
- Recognizing and working with Immobilized Stress Patterns
- Coaching Training / Dialogue Work
- Experiential Anatomy Of Stress 3
- Addressing Autoimmune and Inflammatory diseases through - Somatic Stress Release™
- Unwinding Stress Memories
- Practice sessions with feedback
- Self Hypnosis
- Repatterining Attachment Style to Support Greater Resiliency
- Special Topics: Addiction to Stress
*Two online support sessions will be offered after each module to help participants integrate the material.
*Participants will receive a certificate of participation of Somatic Stress Release after each module and may receive 30 hours of CEU’s from the Yoga Alliance.
Certified Somatic Stress Release™ Practitioner
Upon completion of all 3 Somatic Stress Release™ modules and 4 private sessions with Dr. Scott Lyons, a Somatic Stress Release™ Practitioner, or an Embodied Flow™ Somatic Movement Therapist- you will receive the certification as a Somatic Stress Release™ Practitioner.
early-bird : $1,000 ends 2/1/2019
full : $1,150
"The Somatic Stress Release training with Dr. Scott Lyons was a really powerful introduction to the way we experience stress in the body, uncovering our common patterns for responding to stress, and best of all a range of practices that help us move past stress and take more control of our lives. It gave me an incredibly helpful frame of how to better support myself and other with stressful events and responses in life. But what makes Scott's trainings so powerful is the immersive experience he creates, interweaving lecture with practice and embodied experiences that not only help you get a more complete conceptual understanding of the work, but an embodied one from real experience--so that you go home embodying and practicing the concepts right away. Can't recommend it enough, and can't wait to do the next one!"
Dr. Jennifer Groff
“An unfathomable source of knowledge and wisdom, Scott is a teacher for whom I am happy to travel far. Every time I have been able to study under him, I took back with me not only numerous new tools and in-depth information but also fresh ideas and inspiration.
As a mother, entrepreneur, and yoga facilitator, I was particularly interested in his programme on Somatic Stress Release, because nowadays the term stress is so widely used and present in everyone’s life.
With the help of Scott we were able to dissect what lies beneath this term or concept and find answers to questions some of which hadn’t even been asked yet.
I warmly recommend getting to know Scott, studying or having sessions with him.
It will certainly open up incredible insights and new dimensions for you.”
You may also like the following events from Body Needs Yoga: