Introduction to Small-scale Beekeeping
A one day introduction to small-scale beekeeping course designed for the beginner and novice beekeeper keen to have one (or a few) hives in their homes. We’ll guide you through the key foundations of bee theory and action so that by the end of the day you’ll be either ready to start on your bee journey, add to it or refine it.
THIS WORKSHOP WILL
- Provide the theory you need to get started in beekeeping
- Discuss the importance of bees in our food systems, key threats to their health and how you can help them out
- Show you three different types of hives – the langstroth, warre and top bar beehive and how they work so you can make an informed decision for your own place
- Open a live hive so you can see how to manage and work with bees on a practical level
- Introduce you to some of the simple and best tools to utilise as a beginner beekeeper
- A bee veil,
- Morning and afternoon tea and treats (we invite people to bring a plate of food to share for lunch),
- A whole bunch of new bee friends and networks to stay in contact with, and
- Course notes, jam packed with information to support you to be a gun beekeeper!