Why is this course relevant or important?
Vocabulary breadth and depth are two of the most important factors in helping pupils to understand what they read and to
express themselves as mature, sophisticated learners. This exciting new course from Chris will help you to infuse rich and
sophisticated vocabulary from EYFS to Year 6 into all areas of the curriculum.
The challenge is immense: the two hundred most common words pupils read in most texts are everyday words that they
encounter in a range of situations. However, this means that they do not have the maturity and sophistication required to meet
the demands of the National Curriculum. Pupils need to learn and become fluent in at least 570 word families during their time
in formal education so that they can understand the mature language used in high-quality academic texts and express
themselves as ‘articulate experts’.
Find out about:
• The reasons that vocabulary needs to be explicitly taught through ‘robust’ instruction'.
• Strategies for teaching vocabulary across the curriculum.
• ‘Tiers’ of vocabulary and the importance of sophisticated, mature academic language.
• How to infuse high quality vocabulary in reading activities, spoken and written communication.
• Word Breadth: The specific subject vocabulary required in each subject or area of learning.
• Word Depth: The degree of understanding of vocabulary and the lexical quality hypothesis.
• Discourse markers and their role in organising mature writing.
• The use of daily routines to help pupils to reach sustained mastery of sophisticated vocabulary.
• The importance of etymology and morphology even with the youngest pupils in your school.
• The 570 Word families that should be explicitly planned across the age ranges in your school.
Also check out other Workshops in Durham.
Tickets for Chris Quigley - Infusing Rich Vocabulary throughout the Primary Curriculum can be booked here.
|Ticket Information||Ticket Price|
Create an online presence of your events and make them easy to discover & share with the relevant audience.Create Events