Comprehensive Data Analysis Course using Stata
On Mon 17 - Fri 21 May 2021 (5 days), in Cape Town, South Africa.
All 5 days only R13,000.00 (Excl. VAT) per delegate
About the course
Stata is arguably the best software for data management and statistical analysis. It is a fast, powerful statistical package designed for researchers of all disciplines. Stata is a complete, integrated statistical package that provides everything for data analysis from data management to basic analysis and advanced analysis.
Stata makes it easy to generate publication-quality, distinctly styled graphs, including descriptive graphs, regression fit graphs, etc. With the integrated Graph Editor, you click to change anything about your graph or to add titles, notes, lines, arrows, and text. You can also choose between existing graph styles or create your own.
Stata is distributed in more than 150 countries and is used by professionals in many fields of research and business. The vast family of users of Stata across many disciplines is another reason Stata is a software of choice. A free 21-day teaching license will be given to each participant at this course.
The training outcomes for this course include:
- The ability to use Stata efficiently for basic and intermediate data analysis. The course will introduce you to Stata and Stata files including do-files (which allow for quality control and quick reproducibility of data management and analysis) and log-files (which store data management and analysis outputs).
- You will learn to use Stata for data cleaning and management and be able to import other types of data files, e.g. Excel, into Stata.
- You will achieve the understanding of descriptive statistics. You will be able to test for normality and conduct appropriate descriptive statistics in Stata. You will also learn to conduct sub-group (stratified) analysis in Stata.
- You will be introduced to inferential statistics including such concepts as confidence intervals, p-values and bi-variate inferential statistics (hypothesis testing). The theory behind the statistics will be explained and you will be able to conduct analysis in Stata and interpret statistical outputs.
The course uses a fine blend of didactic lectures, group exercises for every session and two project reports that simulate real life scenarios. Participants will be able to produce and interpret basic and intermediate descriptive and inferential statistics using Stata. As a result, they will be able to take raw data, clean them, summarise them, analyse them and take appropriate action. They will also be able to interpret published research results for needed action.
The course will teach participants the following:
- Study designs and data collection methods
- From variables to datasets
- Explore the capabilities of Stata
- Learn to use Stata: windows, commands, do-files, log files. Import data in different formats into Stata
- Export data in Stata into different formats
- Appending and merging data from different sources
- Applications of data combination
- Data management procedures
- Working with do-files
- Data cleaning before and during the analysis
- Introduction to descriptive statistics
- Introduction to Stata graphs
- Data transformation
- Subgroup analysis
- First project report
- Inferential statistics and the meaning of differences
- Hypothesis testing, p-values and confidence intervals
- Chi-squared t-test and Fisher’s exact test for categorical data
- Parametric tests: t-test, ANOVA, correlation
- Non-parametric tests: ranksum test, Kruskal Wallis, correlation
- Measure of effect
- Why multiple regression?
- Second project report
Who should attend?
- Research Analysts
- Data analysts
- Programme Managers
- Postgraduate students
- Market Researchers
- Clinical and Medical researchers
- Government Practitioners
Traditional face-to-face course pricing:
All 5 days, R13,000.00 excl. VAT
- Course attendance
- Full refreshments: lunch
- Welcome tea
- Two breaks for tea including pastries
- Course lecture notes and training manual
- Complimentary parking
- Certificate of attendance
Tel: +27 11 403 1411