Welcome to our Annual 12 Can Challenge!
This is a simple grassroots effort to help others in our community when they need it the most.
The holidays are most often a time to enjoy and celebrate with friends and family – but for many others it can be a time of loneliness, sadness and stress. This year the need is incredibly high and we hope that we can rely on our community to help us meet the needs of those struggling.
The challenge is simple; collect 12 CANS for those that can’t!
We know it takes a village and together we can make a difference to these families.
1. Every week between now and Christmas we challenge you to purchase and donate CANs for Made by Momma! When you shop for your groceries, purchase one or two extra items – it could be a CAN of food or something else that is non-perishable. (see the suggested list below) Collect one or two CANs each week for the next 12 weeks. It is simple to do and may cost as little as $1 - $2 per week.
2. When you have completed the challenge; drop your collection off to our community pantry at the Made by Momma Resource Centre in December where items will be packed into Christmas food hampers and/or used to prepare freezer meals for struggling families.
3. Invite as many of your friends to this event as you CAN!
Get your neighbours and co-workers involved or make it a family project - it is never too early nor too late to teach your kids compassion & kindness!
4. SHARE this event! Social media can make miracles happen!
How many CANs CAN we collect? CAN we beat last year? We'll keep track as CANs are donated and keep this page up to date! Feel free to post photos (or a selfie!) of the CANs you have collected to inspire everyone!
Top 10 most needed CANned goods at the Made by Momma Resource Centre:
Soup Stock (chicken, beef, vegetable)
Beans (chick peas, black beans, kidney beans)
Canned Fruit (peaches, pineapple)
Vegetables (corn, peas)
Other non-perishable pantry items needed:
Bags of lentils & dried beans
Gluten-Free items are always needed.
These additional items are also needed for families in crisis:
Feminine Hygiene Products
Personal Care Items/Toiletries
Christmas Gifts for our Adopt-a-Momma Program, Santa’s Workshop and/or The Happy Birthday Project.
* Want to do a little more? Ask about our HOLIDAY HAMPER Checklist and purchase everything needed for a complete Christmas Meal box!
Not able to shop? Don't live in Calgary? Still want to get involved?
You can make a charitable donation directly to this program through our CanadaHelps account here:
Please join our 12 CAN Challenge - it's simple and easy to do; we have so many families that will greatly appreciate every donation. Remember, together we CAN make a difference!
Let's change someone's life - right here; right now!
#12CANs4MBM #MBM12CANS #12CANsTillChristmas
October - December 2018
Made by Momma is a grassroots non-profit organization and registered Canadian charity located in Calgary. We help families facing situations of adversity and crisis by providing healthy homemade meals, baked goods, baby essentials, children’s items, supportive in-home visitors and other services to allow mothers the time they need to rest, recover and focus on their families and their health. Because we are 100% volunteer-run, our operating costs are kept low, and the effectiveness of donated dollars/ items very high. For more information on how you can donate to, volunteer or support Made by Momma, please visit our website. Registered Canadian Charity Number ~ 827110008 RR0001