In Defense of Women: Dismantling Race and Class
Please join us for the second annual defense-based social work training organized by the Coalition of Social Workers for the Defense (CSWD) in collaboration with The Legal Aid Society, The Federal Defenders of New York, and The Columbia University School of Social Work. 5 Continuing Education hours will be granted upon completion of this all-day training.
In Defense of Women: Dismantling Race and Class will provide a broad introduction to the impact of various legal systems on women, in particular, women of color. This training will:
• Identify the impact and experiences of women within in the criminal and family legal systems,
• Describe how Cure Violence credible messengers assist justice-impacted women and how their work has been fundamental in changing community norms around violence and transforming lives,
• Deconstruct the roles and responsibilities of social workers in various agencies that advocate on behalf of parents, with a focus on mothers and children in Family Court,
• Introduce the use of restorative justice circles and how to incorporate these practices into defense-based practice, and
• Review the role of social workers in various defense based practices including criminal, immigration, and civil.
This training is recommended for new social workers, social workers new to the field of defense-based social work, as well as experienced social workers interested in learning more about the role of social work in defense based settings and gaining skills for working with women impacted by various legal systems.
9:30 - 10:00: Registration and breakfast
10:00 - 12:00: Opening statements from representatives from the Eastern District of New York, featuring a keynote address by Shamika Vargas, LCSW, Director of Mental Health Services for Hour Children, and including Ivy Woolf Turk, founder of Project Liberation.
12:00 - 1:00: Lunch (on your own)
1:00 - 4:00: Afternoon breakout sessions and closing statements *Choice of 2 (each session will be repeated, 1:00-2:15, 2:15-3:45): A- Cure Violence, Credible Messaging and Women B- Defense Based Social Work 101 C- Transformative Practices: The Use of Peacemaking Circles in Defense-Based Social Work D-Deconstructing the Role of Social Work in Family Court
4:15: Offsite networking event- Location TBD
The event will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.
You will be asked to sign-up for 2 sessions (A, B, C or D) during registration.
Each breakout session will be capped at 25 participants.
5 CE hours will be provided by The Legal Aid Society free of charge.
Breakfast and coffee will be provided.
EDNY Courthouse has a full cafeteria.
Please be aware that cell phones are not permitted inside of the Courthouse. EDNY Courthouse security will require you to turn in your phone. You will be provided with a tag and can retrieve your phone upon exiting the Courthouse.
You may also like the following events from Eventbrite:
Also check out other Workshops in Brooklyn
, Sports Events in Brooklyn
, Health & Wellness Events in Brooklyn
Liked this event? Spread the word :