FABSCRAP Volunteer: Friday, May 3- AM Session
FABSCRAP needs help to sort all the fabric it receives from designers. It's easy to learn and fun to do.
When you sign up, please consider making a donation to support the growth of green infrastructure for the fashion industry in NYC. We have big, waste-reducing plans in 2019! We can't thank you enough for your support of our work!
What to expect:
1. Welcome: Tour and overview of FABSCRAP (5 minutes)
2. Training: Learn how FABSCRAP sorts fabric for recycling (10 minutes)
3. Sort: Sort through fabric samples and large pieces, pulling out useable fabrics for reuse and removing hardware and paper from fabric swatches for recycling (2.5 hours)
4. Shop: As a thank you for your time, take home 5 lbs of material for free!
***Sorting fabric requires the use of sharp scissors. If this is of concern, please let us know when you arrive. By registering for a sorting session, you are agreeing that you have read and understand the volunteer agreement.***
Some tips for a successful volunteer session:
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes - you will be standing for most of the session
- BYOB- Bring Your Own Bag to carry home your free fabric
- There will be music on in the warehouse, but feel free to bring headphones
- Bring water and snacks if you would like - there also is a small deli in our building
- Please be sure to register for every session that you attend and if you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket so that others may sign up for your space
As a thank-you for completing a full session, we’re happy to
Gift 5 pounds of the fabric of your choice… OR
Waive the fee for recycling personal sewing scraps, up to 10 pounds… OR
Sign a community service form
Please Note: FABSCRAP is unable to accept used garments or home linens, please see DonateNYC (make this a link) for locations that will accept worn or damaged clothing for resale and recycling.
READ THESE DIRECTIONS: The warehouse is located a few blocks off of the 59th St stop on the N and R train. When approaching the Brooklyn Army Terminal from 58th Street, follow signs for Pedestrian Entrance. Building B is the building closest to 2nd Avenue. When you enter the building, walk all the way to the back of the lobby and go through the glass doors to the atrium with the train tracks. Walk along the center pathway to the VERY END of the atrium, where you'll go through another glass door. Use the elevator on your right to come up to the 5th floor. Go through the door on your left.
Thank you so much for volunteering! FABSCRAP works because of the enthusiasm and effort of people like you.
You may also like the following events from FABSCRAP:
- This Friday, 24th May, 01:00 pm, FABSCRAP Volunteer: Friday, May 24- PM Session in Brooklyn
- This Saturday, 25th May, 10:00 am, FABSCRAP Volunteer: Saturday, May 25- AM Session in Brooklyn
- This Saturday, 25th May, 02:00 pm, FABSCRAP Volunteer: Saturday, May 25- PM Session in Brooklyn