We are thrilled to launch the first Festival of Ceramics in North Devon to celebrate the rich heritage of the area; past and present.
The location of the event is the stunning Victorian Pannier Market in Bideford, built in 1884 and currently the home of a vibrant creative community with artist’s studios along the old Butcher’s Row and small studios in the market place itself.
Bideford was once famed for its earthenware pots which sailed across to the New World as far back as the 17th Century. Fast forward to today and the area boasts an abundance of renowned contemporary ceramicists
On the day there will be several attractions for visitors.
* 40 stands offering a range of functional and decorative ceramics, handmade by artisans and studio potters.
* a potter’s wheel experience from Tarka Pottery as well as throwing demonstrations from Nick Juniper.
* We are offering workshops on the day - make a ceramic bird with Gwen Vaughan or a porcelain wall vase with Mitch Pilkington.
* There will be tasty food stands as well as fresh (proper) coffee available to purchase on the day
* Jill Rousseau Gallery will be handing out an Award for Innovation, James from Josie's in Mill Street will be talent spotting and handing out a 'Future Trend Award and North Devon Ceramics Academy and Studio will be presenting the Maker's Choice Award.
Curious to see who will be there? Here's a link to our exhibition catalogue