Misty Mountain Hop! (cycling in the Nilgiris)
..So Ive decided what Im gonna do now
So Im packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
Where the spirits go now
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
'Misty Mountain Hop' - Led Zeppelin, 1971
We totally get these iconic lyrics. Who wouldn't want to head to the mountains for some peace, to soak in their natural beauty, to escape from the din of the cities and the heat of the plains?
The majestic Nilgiris (or blue mountains) are part of the Western Ghats and cover nearly 2500 square kilometres. These mountains are an integral part of a protected biosphere, known for its wildlife and dense forests and many lakes, reservoirs and waterfalls.
Our itinerary is ideal for those who love travelling, cycling and exploring the outdoors. You'll conquer difficult climbs, enjoy the pristine beauty of the blue mountains and stay in a villa nestled in these hills. We'll be covering some of the quieter and more off-beat destinations in the region.
Day 1 (26th Jan, Fri):
- Depart at 4 am from Bangalore and reach the cottage by 2 pm.
- Evening ride around the local area. ~20 km
Day 2 (27th Jan, Sat)
- ~70km ride
Day 3 (28th Jan, sun)
- ~50 km ride
- Depart for Bangalore at 1 pm
Total riding distance = ~140km over 3 days
- guided cycling and curated travel experience
- 2 nights stay with b'fast, lunch and dinner
- transportation of your bicycle
- ride refreshments
- support vehicle
- mechanic support
- first aid
- Transportation of people. Car-pooling can be facilitated from Bangalore.
- Personal expenses
- Bike rentals (available as an add-on)
- No refund in case of a no-show.
- No refund on cancellations done 19th Dec 11 pm or later.
- 50% refund on cancellations done before that.
What to (compulsorily) bring:
- helmet if you are bringing your own bike
- powerful bicycle lights (front and back) and reflectors
- jacket (it's going to be pretty cold in the hills this time of the year)
- padded cycling shorts (unless you're already numb to saddle soreness)
- if you're bringing your own bike, make sure it is serviced and ready for the ride
- a couple of spare tubes if you're bringing your bike
Also check out other Trips & Adventurous Activities in Bangalore, Sports Events in Bangalore, Nonprofit Events in Bangalore.
Liked this event? Spread the word :