#NovaKwanzaa2015 Celebration with Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright
The Northern Virginia Kwanzaa Collective invites everyone to join them in its inaugural #NovaKwanzaa2015 celebration.
Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.., Pastor Emeritus of Trinity United Church of Christ. in Chicago, IL, will be the guest speaker. The program will be held Sunday, December 27, 2015, 2pm, at the Charles Houston Recreation Center located at 901 Wythe Street in Alexandria, VA. The event is free and open to the public. In addition to Dr. Wright, the program will include African dancing and drumming, face painting, musical performances, an African Marketplace and remarks from Alexandria City Council Member John T. Chapman.
Kwanzaa, which is celebrated from December 26 through January 1st, was established by Maulana Karenga in 1966. Kwanzaa is a holiday that honors African heritage and celebrates family, community and culture. It takes its name from the phrase "matunda ya kwanza," which in Swahili means "first fruits." Kwanzaa's origin lies in the 1960s civil rights and Black Freedom movements, and is a way of commemorating the African heritage of black Americans whose history was stripped away by the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.
The five fundamental activities of Kwanzaa are:
• a time of ingathering of the people to reaffirm the bonds between them
• a time of special reverence for the creator and creation in thanks and respect for the blessings, bountifulness and beauty of creation;
• a time for commemoration of the past in pursuit of its lessons and in honor of its models of human excellence, our ancestors;
• a time of recommitment to our highest cultural ideals in our ongoing effort to always bring forth the best of African cultural thought and practice;
• a time for celebration of the good, the good of life and of existence itself, the good of family, community and culture, the good of the awesome and the ordinary, in a word the good of the divine, natural and social.
Sponsors of the event are:
Alexandria Black History Museum
National Black United Front
Northern Virginia Urban League Young Professionals Network
Nu Xi Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Point of Contact:
Liked this event? Spread the word :