PhD PowerPitch Training ADELAIDE
A PhD's ability to pitch the value of their research determines their future
You invest valuable resources, time, and money in your PhD students. They’re some of the brightest academics, researchers, and scientists around.
So how do they present their discoveries to people who need to know but may not understand the work?
Microsoft studies show our attention span has dropped from 12 seconds to just eight in 15 years. So, it doesn’t matter how world-shattering the research is, unless they can present it clearly and compellingly, the right ears won’t receive it.
The most common issues they experience in pitching the impact of their research are:
• choosing which key messages summarise their offer, so they include them all
• the curse of knowledge – I know this, why don’t you?
• cramming in too much jargon, data, and statistics, leaving their audiences overwhelmed
• missing out on stories as the most powerful component in their communication toolkit.
PowerPitch is a one day workshop with Sandy and Roger McDonald, clarity and communication coach and professional writer and editor. Participants:
• learn the structure of effective pitching
• get to articulate the why, what, how, and who of their presentation
• identify their key messages and extract the stories that best illustrate them
• learn the value of humour in a memorable pitch
• craft a three minute script and refine it with a professional writer and editor
• learn memory and performance techniques
• perform their pitch in front of an audience.
The prework and workshop teaches your professionals clear, succinct, and compelling communication.
PowerPitch also gives them life skills that translate into any form of communication.
The prework increases the benefit of the face to face exposure of the workshop. It involves:
• challenging questions to help them identify what makes their work unique, media worthy, and marketable
• four short videos explaining the context for pitching and the pitch architecture.
The workshop combines professional guidance on good writing, storytelling, pitching, presenting, and performance. Participants complete a workbook during the day covering PowerPitch and Write for Results.
Brainstorming through the day, they learn to articulate their purpose and industry insights. These establish the context behind the problems, solutions, and impacts of their work.
Working in groups and with peer and facilitator input, they refine their drafts in clearer, compelling language. As the finale, they present their three minute pitch to their colleagues.
Your PhDs are walking advertisements for your organisations. The benefits they receive flow back to you as they:
• showcase the research, innovation, and problem-solving skills that benefit Australia and the world
• close the gap between complex discoveries and public understanding
• boost their confidence through improved written, spoken, and delivery skills
• lift exposure for your organisation in educational, social, and political circles.
Enrol your PhD candidates in an unforgettable learning experience that will change how they communicate.
As facilitators, we have delivered this training to over 300 academics, PhDs, business professionals, entrepreneurs, and individuals. For many, it creates a life changing experience as they learn how better pitching using purpose-driven story connects, is remembered, and creates winning moments.
What should I bring to the event?
It is helpful to bring a laptop
What do you provide?
Morning and afternoon tea, and a light lunch
Where is the venue?
The venue will be advised closer to the time, but will be centrally placed and close to public transport
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Email us at c2FuZHkgfCBzYW5keW1jZG9uYWxkICEgY29t or call Roger 0438 935 905
You may also like the following events from Why Your Stories Matter:
Also check out other Workshops in Adelaide
, Nonprofit Events in Adelaide
, Arts Events in Adelaide
Liked this event? Spread the word :