Durga Puja - the annual grand event for which we wait all year round is here again. The sound of shaankh, smell of dhuno and shuffling of saris brings back sweet reminiscenses of Durgotsav. Prabasi is celebrating the long awaited Durga Puja on October 12th and 13th, 2013 at Chabot College in Hayward, CA. You are invited to join the celebrations.
As usual, there are many professional programs lined up for you, as well as some splendid local programs brought to you by hard-working and talented local artists. There will be a day of Bollywood artists and another day of Kolkata artists - to make your festival as joyful and rythmic as can be.
And for those who have visited Prabasi's puja before, you know the variety of stalls we have at our mandap. The food is simply irresistable and the shopping experience unparalleled.
This year's Durga Puja Artists are:
- Bollywood singer, Sona Mohapatra will be performing on Saturday, October 12th from 9pm to 11:30pm. Non-member ticket price is $40/head. Seating will be in balcony.
- Rupankar will be performing on Sunday, October 13th from 3pm to 5pm. Rupankar had performed for Prabasi Durga Puja in 2006 & after 7 years, he is performing again at Prabasi. He mainly sings Adhunik songs of his own, as well as Bengali film songs that he has done playback for. He has many adhunik gan albums also, as well as a Rabindra Sangeet album. He also sings Rabindra Sangeet & Ghazals well. Non-member ticket price is $40/head. Seating will be in balcony.
- The latest singing sensation of Bengalis, Anupam Roy will also be performing on Sunday, October 13th from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Anupam Roy needs no introduction, with his famous song "Amake Amar Moton Thakte Dao", & has composed & written many songs, which have been sung by others like Rupankar, Shreya Ghoshal, Lopamudra Mitra, Anindya Chatterjee of Chandrabindoo, Raghab Chatterjee etc. Non-member ticket price is $40/head. Seating will be in balcony.
- Mahalaya: Saturday, October 12th from 3:30pm to 4:30pm
- Natok: Goshai Baganer Bhoot from 4:45pm to 6pm
Schedule for Prabasi Durga Puja 2013:
Saturday, October 12th:
10:30am to 12:30pm: Saptami Puja & Arati
12:30pm onwards: Prasad Distribution
1pm to 2pm: Pushpanjali
1pm to 2:30pm: Khichuri Bhog distribution
3pm: Auditorium opens
3pm to 4:30pm: Open stage for bhajans & devotional songs
3:30pm to 4:30pm: Mahalaya
4:45pm to 6pm: Natok - Goshai Baganer Bhoot
6pm: Lamp Offering w/ a dance performance by pre-teen girls
6pm to 8pm: Ashtami Puja, Sandhi Puja, Nabami Puja
6:45pm: Prayer song during arati
7pm to 8:30pm: Arati & Dhunuchi Nach
7pm to 9pm: Dinner (FREE for Patron Members, General Members can purchase)
8pm: Dhunuchi Nach
8pm: Bhog & Sweet distribution
8:30pm: Auditorium opens
9pm to 11:30pm: Sona Mohapatra
Sunday, October 13th:
11:30am to 1pm: Dashami Puja
1pm: Prayer song during Arati
1pm to 1:30pm: Pushpanjali
2pm: Dhunuchi Nach
2pm to 3pm: Lunch, Debi Boron, Bishorjon
2:30pm: Auditorium opens
3pm to 5pm: Rupankar
5:30pm to 7pm: Anupam Roy
Direction to Chabot College:
Chabot College is now a familiar site/venue for all of us, since many Prabasi Events (including Prabasi's Durga Puja celebration) have been held there for the last 16 years.
Directions from San Jose:
Hwy 880 North, exit Hwy 92 (San Mateo Bridge) West, stay in Right hand lane and take first exit Hesperian Blvd, Stay right to head North. You should now be heading North on Hesperian Blvd. (from either of the 3 directions). IMMEDIATELY Get over into the left hand lane, left at 1st light (Depot Rd.), 2nd right into Parking Lot "F".
Directions from San Francisco:
Hwy. 80 (Bay Bridge) East, Hwy 980 South, Hwy 880 South, Hwy. 92 West (San Mateo Bridge), stay in right hand lane and take first exit Hesperian Blvd. Stay right to head North. You should now be heading North on Hesperian Blvd. (from either of the 3 directions). IMMEDIATELY get over into the left hand lane, left at 1st light (Depot Rd.), 2nd right into Parking Lot "F".
Alternate from San Francisco:
Hwy. 101 South, Hwy 92 (San Mateo Bridge) East, take Hesperian Blvd exit, turn left (North) at light. You should now be heading North on Hesperian Blvd. (from either of the 3 directions). IMMEDIATELY get over into the left hand lane, left at 1st light (Depot Rd.), 2nd right into Parking Lot "F".
Parking: $2 per car and a permit must be visible on your dashboard.
Hope to see you all at Chabot College for Durga Puja.
Report a problem